Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Meet Enid

If you follow me on Instagram you've seen that the past couple weeks I have found 2 new Enids for my personal collection.  I thought maybe some of you didn't know who she was and I thought it'd be a good post for some background on her and how my collection got started.  So if you've never met, I'd like you to meet Enid Collins.








Enid was a handbag designer from the great state of Texas, from 1959 to 1970.  In those years she churned out hand painted and hand dazzled handbags made of wood and paper mache.  For the first years, she had only a small cult following in Texas, then a little known store called Nieman Marcus called and placed an order for handbags, catapulting Enid into handbag stardom.  An Enid was the "it" bag to carry to the grocery store in it's day.  

I had no idea who Enid was until I started reading Betty's blog, and read about her obsession of them.  Well I thought," yeah those are pretty interesting", and wrote it off that I would never find one this far North. Well low and behold, a few December's ago my mom and I went to our regular antique mall while I was home for the holidays and behind some cookie jars, I spotted the money tree!



That's right in little small town Wisconsin I found a Money Tree!!! I started F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G out in the middle of that store. My mom was so confused as to why I was so excited, I showed her and she still did not understand, until I bought it and explained the whole concept of Enid to her. 

That was the beginning of a collection, I now have a total of seven Enids five of which I have hanging on a wall in my apartment, and each one has it's own story as to how it came into my life.  



The Money Tree was my first Enid,  The Daisies Won't Tell was an Anniversary gift from Mr. Junk, Glitter Bugs was a get well gift that my Grandparents surprised me with when I was in the hospital last year,  Night Owl was a Valentines gift from my Mom and Flower Basket was a gift from my Step-Mom.



So that's the story of my small collection.  Every time I go picking or antiquing  I look for an Enid but they aren't that easy to find.  There are sooo many that I have been drooling over and hope to find some day in person or are able to afford via Etsy or Ebay.  I think what I enjoy the most about the Enids are the inside which have a circle mirror, they each have a clever and sometimes sassy name and are individually signed and say "Handcrafted for You" and have her logo which is a horse.




Well I hope you all enjoyed, checking out one of my personal collections.  Do any of you have an Enid?

Over-N-Out

1 comment:

  1. I just got one of these in an estate I "bought out" from Schofield. It is missing the clasp on top that goes to the handle. It looks like the one you have hanging with the butterfly and flowers. I think it opens from the top. The lady who owned it, was a war bride. Her husband met her while stationed in Australia. They married and moved here. It would need to be fixed, but if you want it, I will save it for you. Email me and let me know. Blessings from Ringle, WI.

    ReplyDelete